1. This is my first report since getting voted in as Captain a month ago at the AGM
2. My Captain’s Drive-In was a big success after being postponed for two weeks because of the adverse weather on the planned weekend. 23 teams took part playing a shotgun start with 3 from 4 to count, double points for the yellow ball and the special twist with the lucky dice on the 1st proved challenging but most of all fun. Highlights on the 1st: Gav Lewis hitting the child’s club 160 yards down the middle and getting his par; Kev Bulless with a left-handed reverse shot with the driver that was apparently the best shot he hit all day; Gabriella Calvert who hit her tee shot in the rough on the right then struggled to get out – the words she called me are unrepeatable. It was nice for my family to join me, Maxine doing the refreshments and Bobby my son hitting drives which he mostly hit well until he put Graeme Brackenbury in the rubbish on the right. A big thank you to Paul Gibson who willingly gave his time to help. Also a special mention for Dave Jackson who got up to the course early in the morning to make sure it was open and playable. Thank you to Chris Elvidge and Chris Berry as I know I tested your maths sorting the scorecards.
3. My Captain’s charity “Space 2B Heard”, which is a mental health charity that offers cheap – and in a lot of cases free – mental health counselling, is going to be involved in a number of things I have planned for the year.
4. My thanks to my Vice Captain Ben Gardiner who contacted me to offer the services of the Walkington Pantomime by offering my charity an extra showing of their new show “Kindly Leave The Stage”. This performance will be on Monday 16 May 2022 and tickets will be available soon at the price of £10 café style seating, you can bring your own drink. There are quite a few Beverley golfers in the show so please show your support and help a great charity.
5. The shock news two weeks ago that last year’s Captain Shaun Leach was taken seriously ill. Shaun is making good progress and I am sure we look forward to seeing him back playing golf when he is fit and ready.
6. I would also like to welcome all the new members who have joined and in some cases rejoined the club, it’s great you have chosen Beverley and I hope you enjoy the experience, I will do my best to try and introduce myself to you all and hopefully play with as many of you as possible.
7. Whilst playing in a recent EGGS match I was talking with my partner John Taylor about my plans and straight away John offered me a pair of world number one Jon Rahm’s signed golf shoes which he had worn at the open, what a fantastic gesture, it is very much appreciated and I hope will make good money for my charity.